Uniting bold trailblazers to create a better life.
The University of Nebraska unites bold trailblazers from around the globe to positively transform lives, land, and society. Our inclusive culture expects excellence and creates connections among learners within – and beyond – the university. At Nebraska every person and interaction matters.
- We advance and share the latest knowledge.
- We discover solutions for the world’s greatest challenges.
- We launch lifetimes of exploration and professional growth.
We invite you to join us in creating a better life.
Achieving the N|150 Vision and Mission calls for breaking down barriers across the University. To bring us together across boundaries of experience, disciplines, time, and place we will:
- Consider implementing one base tuition for all:
- To welcome bold trailblazers from across the country and around the globe, we will be the first public university to offer one base tuition for all — in state or out of state.
- Leverage time to make new things happen:
- Creatively use our spaces and schedules to make education accessible.
- Ensure a unifying student experience:
- All students will share a university-wide common learning experience that is transformative.
- Reward collaborative research that positively transforms lives, land, society:
- Create incentives for high impact transformational research that makes life better.
- Close the economic achievement gap
- Develop a campus-wide initiative to focus the university's research, teaching, and outreach improving academic outcomes for economically-disadvantaged Nebraskans and making college, graduate, and professional degrees achievable for all.
N|150 Goals and Strategies
The N|150 Commission includes eight subcommittees. The Mission & Values Subcommittee’s work above conveys the over-arching themes of this Draft Working Report. Each of the other seven Subcommittees developed a goal for their area of focus as well as a set of strategies by which the university will achieve that goal. In addition to these summary materials (see below), operational details for each component of the emerging N|150 plan are under development and may reviewed in detail on the Commission’s page.
Student Experience Subcommittee
Students at Nebraska shape the future. In a learning environment of builders, includers, connectors, influencers, and explorers, students develop future-ready skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, empathy, communication, and perseverance.
- As builders, Nebraska students will create and co-create transformative learning experiences that advance and share the latest knowledge and discover solutions to the world’s challenges;
- As includers, they will participate in a compassionate community that encourages and promotes constructive discourse where every person and interaction matters;
- As connectors, they will engage a diversity of people and ideas to transform lives, land, and society;
- As influencers, they will develop vital, meaningful, and diverse personal and professional networks that connect the university and the community; and
- As explorers, Nebraska students will boldly grow and transform the world by learning to discover innovative solutions to complex problems through hands-on, experiential opportunities.
Research, Scholarship, and Creativity Subcommittee
Nebraska is a global leader in solving real-world challenges and promoting humanity through research discoveries, creative activities, and transformative innovations.
- Recruit, retain, and develop diverse world-class researchers, scholars, and artists;
- Shape the research agenda to tackling global grand challenges;
- Transform and strengthen structures to stimulate interdisciplinary, synergistic research and creative activity;
- Create and incubate emerging areas of strength in research and creative activity;
- Establish collaborations with local, national, and international partners; and
- Embrace and elevate the role and identity of research and creative activity across the entire institution.
Diversity and Inclusion Subcommittee
The University of Nebraska is globally recognized for excellence in building and sustaining a culture committed to access, equity, and inclusion. At UNL, everyone is empowered and enriched by our diversity and everyone belongs. In this culture, we succeed together by actively engaging in:
- Messaging: Embed our resolute emphasis on excellence in diversity and inclusion within all campus communications, including public postings, job descriptions and offers, mission statements, syllabi, evaluations, social media platforms, and buildings;
- Modeling: Provide everyone at UNL with meaningful and ongoing opportunities to develop and grow personally and professionally in a culture focused on inclusive excellence;
- Mentoring: Inspire and empower everyone to create and sustain pathways and networks that enable everyone to belong, interact, and thrive;
- Motivating: Reward programs, units, and individuals for their success in moving us towards our goals;
- Managing: Encourage individuals, programs, and units to cooperate in interdisciplinary activities that foster inclusion, innovation, and increase global prestige of the University of Nebraska’s inclusive approaches for solving state, national, and global problems; and
- Measuring: Continuously monitor and assess progress towards our goals.
- Increase the recruitment, retention, and success of globally diverse students, staff, and faculty members;
- Ensure that all students engage in a meaningful experience around diversity and inclusion before graduation;
- Sustain a climate conducive to diversity and inclusion for all its community members; and
- Promote research and practice around issues of diversity and inclusion that provides expertise to institutions and communities on inclusive approaches for solving local, state, national, and global problems.
Campus Community and Faculty and Staff Roles Subcommittee
Become a community of valued team members.
The University of Nebraska is a global community where we unleash the power of every person. Everyone has a voice and is committed to the advancement of the community. The community is committed to the holistic well-being and success of each team member.
Nebraska is the choice for students, staff, and faculty whose collaborative leadership, discoveries, and innovations help shape Nebraska and the world.
- Create intentional success pathways and professional development opportunities that positions each faculty and staff member to achieve the fullest expression of their talents;
- Develop a community council that includes representation from all members of the campus community focused on the holistic well-being and success across our community;
- Develop and enhance the institutional structures and culture for participative decision-making that gives meaningful voice; and
- Create a strong sense of individual and team identity that leverages and builds UNL strengths.
Economic Development and Innovation Subcommittee
The University of Nebraska is a catalyst for growth and prosperity. We are instrumental in solving the world’s greatest challenges. We strive to look ahead and prepare for the unknown. Our bold thinking impacts the global community.
- We are an adaptable institution that embraces change;
- We align our efforts around societal problems;
- We value and support experiential learning in all disciplines; and
- We embrace a culture of informed risk taking.
- Organize academic units around societal problems;
- Intensify experiential learning in all disciplines;
- Build and support experiential learning facilities to allow diverse groups of people to more naturally mesh and collaborate;
- Promote an entrepreneurial mindset, both as a university culture and to create start-up activities;
- Create a strong mentorship culture;
- Establish closely aligned connections to our business partners; and
- Establish a culture of informed risk taking.
Engagement in Nebraska and Beyond Subcommittee
The University of Nebraska is a university without walls, where students, faculty, staff, and alumni are actively engaged across Nebraska and beyond with a mantra of “we bring Nebraska to the world.”
Our culture of engagement generates genuine mutual benefit both in Nebraska and across the globe while creating extraordinary opportunities for students, alumni, industry, community partners, faculty, and staff.
Engagement is the co-creation, co-discovery and co-development of solutions that benefit Nebraskans (people who live in Nebraska, are affiliated with Nebraska, or who want to access our knowledge resources, anywhere in the world). The needs of Nebraska are broad and diverse. Nebraskans want to grow and expand their businesses, strengthen their schools and their communities, create exciting opportunities for their children, and grow and diversify our economy. Nebraskans recognize the university as a valuable, accessible and diverse resource that is recognized globally for exciting, unexpected experiences and research advances.
UNL embraces opportunities to strengthen and codify our relationship with people. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has students, faculty, staff and alumni gifted with strategic foresight as well as relevant knowledge and resources to address critical needs. Doing so in a more robust and organized manner not only benefits Nebraskans but also strengthens their commitment, loyalty and support of our university.
Engaging is critical to the future of UNL.
- Engage all Nebraska students in the broader community or world through experiential learning activities that enhance their education and position them for success;
- Engage students, faculty, staff, and alumni with business, industry, and government in collaborative efforts;
- Engage every community across Nebraska as a key part of UNL’s extended campus for the purpose of establishing engaged learning and research opportunities that advance the mutual interests of the community and UNL;
- Make engagement a hallmark of UNL’s mission; and
- Establish a university-level Engagement office and Engagement Council charged with championing the Engagement mission.
Operations and Infrastructure Subcommittee
The operations and infrastructure of the University are dynamically structured, optimized, and accessible to continually build excellence. We facilitate interactions, engagement, and innovation in physical and virtual spaces and through technology for the global Nebraska community of life-long learners.
- Engage key stakeholders to align organizational structures with the N|150 vision and mission;
- Use resources intelligently with an emphasis on customer service and continuous improvement;
- Incentivize actions that align with the goals and values of the University through transparent allocation of resources;
- Empower decision making at the appropriate levels with the right people; and
- Use technology and physical/virtual spaces to connect learners wherever they are.
Note: This Draft Working Report summarizes the work of all eight Subcommittees of the Nebraska Commission of 150. In doing so, minor formatting changes and edits were necessary to unify the work of over numerous authors. The complete, un-edited work of each subcommittee is available on the N150 Commission website.